Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Clint Sharp Clint Sharp is offline

Default Power Inverters

In message , jakdedert
writes
Certainly more efficient; but I change laptops too often to buy a
dedicated 12v supply every time.

There are universal 12v adapters just as there are universal AC
adapters.

The 110 inverter works for me; but I 'have' seen universal models. My
Dell laptop is sensitive to power supplies, though.

Some of the Dell laptops can positively identify a genuine Dell PSU and
won't charge if it isn't genuine. Dell put a silicon serial number IC
inside the PSU which the laptop can read.

The cheap Targus unit that came with it will run the computer, but
won't charge the battery (one of the reasons I got it so cheap).

It's fairly simple to add the serial number if you can find a defunct
PSU (although a major reason for Dell adapters being faulty is that the
serial number chip dies!) but genuine AC adaptors are pretty cheap on
eBay.

jak

--
Clint Sharp