Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Power Inverters

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
As a thought - what is the DC requirements of the Laptop ? - it might
not be necessary to go up to mains voltage and then back down.

Not a good idea. There can be spikes of up to 400 volts in an
automotive electrical system. Then there is the possibility of a 'load
dump' which happens when the voltage regulator fails, or a loose battery
cable.

Makes you wonder just how all the various computers in the modern car
survive...

No wondering, at all. They are designed to meet the specifications.
Believe whatever you want, but there are detailed specifications for
automotive electronics, and the required protection. G0 to the design
newsgroup and tell some of the engineers that there are no spikes, or
load dumps.

The early Delco transistor car radios had a 'Spark plate', that arced
over to damp the spikes, along with a large series inductor.

ignorance may be bliss, but it damages lots of equipment.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida