Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Power Inverters

f825_677 wrote:

lid wrote:
We're looking for a power inverter to recharge our Compaq notebook
in the car. Is it better to buy one with a larger rating (400W) rather than
a smaller one? Black & Decker has a 100W model ($13) and it gets
decent reviews:

http://tinyurl.com/5fstl9

But the notebook uses ~90W, so we'll be very close to this inverter's
capacity. The alternative is something larger, e.g.

http://tinyurl.com/6nfbrp

This one's 400W, but we're wondering if the extra cost is worth it.

Thanks for any advice/opinions/info.

As a thought - what is the DC requirements of the Laptop ? - it might
not be necessary to go up to mains voltage and then back down.

Not a good idea. There can be spikes of up to 400 volts in an
automotive electrical system. Then there is the possibility of a 'load
dump' which happens when the voltage regulator fails, or a loose battery
cable.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.