Posted to sci.electronics.repair
f825_677 f825_677 is offline

Default Power Inverters

lid wrote:
We're looking for a power inverter to recharge our Compaq notebook
in the car. Is it better to buy one with a larger rating (400W) rather than
a smaller one? Black & Decker has a 100W model ($13) and it gets
decent reviews:

http://tinyurl.com/5fstl9

But the notebook uses ~90W, so we'll be very close to this inverter's
capacity. The alternative is something larger, e.g.

http://tinyurl.com/6nfbrp

This one's 400W, but we're wondering if the extra cost is worth it.

Thanks for any advice/opinions/info.

As a thought - what is the DC requirements of the Laptop ? - it might
not be necessary to go up to mains voltage and then back down.

If it is - what other use might you want from the inverter ?

The 90W the notebook needs, is this its DC loading on its own charger or
the chargers loading on the mains ?