Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default Peavey VTX Classic guitar amp and the M 5884 audio chip.

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 03:41:27 -0500, Michael
put finger to keyboard
and composed:

Peavey VTX Classic guitar amp and the M 5884 audio chip.

Does anyone have any information on the M 5884 audio output
transistor used in the (vintage 1981) Peavey VTX Classic guitar amps?
I cannot find any information on the M 5884 on the Internet. One site
mentions a MJE15030 as a replacement, but when I tried one the audio
was fuzzy even on the clean channel.

I realise you've already been there, but this Peavey Cross-Reference
guide lists an SJ-5884 which can be replaced by an MJE15030 or
MJE15028:
http://www.ampix.org/albums/userpics..._Cross_Ref.pdf

Is it possible that the "M" refers to Motorola?

The amp has two 6lggc final tubes. The output stopped and one of the
tubes was glowing red. With the MJE15030 installed the tube stopped
glowing red, but the audio is fuzzy. A datasheet for the original M
5884 transistor would be very helpful if anyone has one. Also a
schemtic for the Peavey VTX Classic wouldl help. I posted a message on
Peavey's forum as well.

-Michael

FYI, there are a lot of fake Motorola transistors in the marketplace.

- Franc Zabkar