Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default Converting normal door to be a sliding door?

Unbeliever coughed up some electrons that declared:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

snip

I've installed 3 of those SF kits and they do what they say on the
tin. Nothing wrong with the kit & the sliding gear, but they look
like crap IMO.

That's normal - ugly things.

You would need to build a pelmet to cover the sliding gear and build
out the door frame to cover the gap when the door closes.

Again, you would normally cover an aftermaket sliding door gear with a
pelmet.

I agree that stock sliding doors don't always look the best. There is a
variant though, called a "pocket door" and various companies do special
frames that integrate into a drywall - but can cost a small bomb.

If I can persuade SWMBO to accept a few sliding doors in the hall, I have an
easier solution which I'd like to implement: normal door gear so that the
door slides over the hall side of a brick wall, then box the lot in,
forming a false drywall over the entire length of the hall which contains
all the doors.

I reckon it would look rather neat for the cost of the plasterboard and some
battens. The doors have never worked very well in this house due to the
fact they would all clash onto one another if opened outwards and inward
opening is wasting a lot of space in some not very big rooms.

Cheers

Tim