Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Converting normal door to be a sliding door?

dmc wrote:
Now the new boiler and store is in place, I've ripped out the huge
double airing cupboard and now have to sort out the room to be a
useful bedroom.

We've ordered a HiSleeper (bed on big legs - big *expensive* legs
:-/) and while measuring up today the thought of converting the door
to be a sliding door crossed my mind...

I was pondering changing the way the door is hung so that it opened
outwards but that isn't great as it's at the top of the stairs -
recipe for disaster.

Looking at screwfix they appear to have a "kit" for 25 quid or so -
anyone know if it's any good at all? If it's crap, is there a better,
more expensive solution? Or should I just forget the idea as sliding
doors are all just
crap?

I've installed 3 of those SF kits and they do what they say on the tin.
Nothing wrong with the kit & the sliding gear, but they look like crap IMO.

You would need to build a pelmet to cover the sliding gear and build out the
door frame to cover the gap when the door closes. Also, you can't really
lock a sliding door.

The kit works, getting it to look good is a right PITA.

If a customer asks me, I tell them it's possible to do it, but explain the
disadvantages before I take on the job.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk