Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

Default Converting normal door to be a sliding door?

Now the new boiler and store is in place, I've ripped out the huge double
airing cupboard and now have to sort out the room to be a useful bedroom.

We've ordered a HiSleeper (bed on big legs - big *expensive* legs :-/) and
while measuring up today the thought of converting the door to be a sliding
door crossed my mind...

I was pondering changing the way the door is hung so that it opened outwards
but that isn't great as it's at the top of the stairs - recipe for disaster.

Looking at screwfix they appear to have a "kit" for 25 quid or so - anyone
know if it's any good at all? If it's crap, is there a better, more expensive
solution? Or should I just forget the idea as sliding doors are all just
crap?

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12029/...all-Race-762mm

is the thing I was looking at. No bottom track would be kinda essential.

Looking at http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/ shows a mind boggling range
of solutions and prices...

So, anyone done this before? The door is currently a bog standard plain painted
door (crap egg box construction) so nothing too heavy.

Cheers,

Darren (now to attempt to repair the sagging lathe and plaster ceiling - I
*really* don't want to take that down!)