Posted to alt.home.repair

Default outdoor water spicket repair

On Nov 8, 7:06�pm, "Steve Barker DLT"
wrote:
depends . � Mostly it would be about 400 times eaiser to just replace it.

"Tim" wrote in message

on a regular outdoor water (hose) spicket...can you just open the top of
the spicket and replace the worn seat...or do you have to replace the
entire spicket. �had a guy at the store tell me that today's pickets have
the stem/seat nut factory sealed...and if you open (break) the seal...you
will get leaking from the stem nut ?

Thanks, TR- Hide quoted text -

not if itsd soldered on at the walls surface.

locally the valves were soldered out of wall, put in place then
soldered indoors.

those valves are easier repaired.

new washers, and a 5 buck seat grindinmg tool can repair the valves
good as new for 10 years, then you can do it again.

a good female friend was visiting and reported her outside valve was
leaking bad. at the stem. the water ran indoors along the wall and
close to the main service breakerr cabinet.

my valve happened to be loeaking at the stem so I showed her how to
tighten the packing nut.

she went home and asked to borrow her hubbys wrench, he got mad and
claimed she would break valve.

1/.4 turn later the leak stopped he had nothing to say