GTO69RA4

Default SEMI O.T. .. looking for chainsaw recommendations .. .. ..

What kind of use are you getting it for? The 031 was a very sturdy saw--has to
have been to last 35-odd years. You're looking at a pro model if you want to
get similar life out of the new one. I have an old 032, by the way.

Stihl and Husqvarna are the top two companies, however Dolmar (sold as Makita
in some parts), Solo, Echo, Shindaiwa, and Efco (sold as the new John Deer saws
in some parts) are others of nearly equal quality and lower price. Your choice
should mainly depend on dealer support and personal preference. Huskys can be a
better deal, Stihls usually have more dealer support and the larger ones _may_
be more durable. The smaller companies' saws can usually be higher-tech (more
power, less weight, easier to use) at a lower price but fewer users out there
to vouch for them.

Anyway, a Stihl 026 or Husqvarna 346XP would both be saws of similar size and
quality to your old 031. If you're looking at a good homeowner saw, the Husky
55 is hard to beat. Stihl's 025 and 029 are also homeowner saws but are either
expensive or overweight for what they offer. I can't comment on the other
brands' specific models.

You really should ask this question on a board with a big saw focus. The "tool
shed" board at Gardenweb.com and Arboristsite.com are the top two. Arboristsite
has a greater pro focus.

GTO(John)

My trusty old Stilh 031 is about dead and parts are getting hard to
find, so I'm looking for a new saw .. .. ..
Narrowed it down to another Stihl or possibly a HUSQVARNA .. .. ..
anyone have recommendations PRO/CON for either brand ?? ?? ?? Haven't
yet settled into a specific model number in a Stilh, but am looking at
the #359 and the #55 .. .. ..

thanx in advance !!

--
I AM NOT PARANOID .. .. .. but EVERYONE thinks I am !! !! !!

__ Bob __