Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Running wires from the attic to the basement

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 12:00:14 -0500, dpb wrote:

Ultraglide wrote:
A few days ago I posted a message about running wires through a cold air
return. Here's more info about the problem. I have some exterior lights on
the second story of my house that I want to install. I need to run power to
the lights and of course add a switch. If I call an electrician, would
he/she be able to run wire down to the basement to the panel and then
install a switch on the first floor? Or, would they tap into a hot wire in
the attic and install a switch on the second floor?

Yes...

They would do what/whichever was most appropriate/necessary.

Unless the lights are massive, it would seem likely adding them to an
existing nearby lighting circuit would be the logical solution, but
pulling to a first story switch location may still be some effort of course.

All depends on particulars of actual house, locations of panel, junction
boxes, etc., etc., etc., ...

Perhaps put the wiring in external conduit to the external light, with
the switch wired inside on the main floor or basement, where the wire
goes out to the condoit. I used to like AluClad wire for that kind of
job but have not seen if in about 15 years.