Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Running wires from the attic to the basement

On Oct 31, 12:51*pm, "Ultraglide"
wrote:
A few days ago I posted a message about running wires through a cold air
return. *Here's more info about the problem. *I have some exterior lights on
the second story of my house that I want to install. *I need to run power to
the lights and of course add a switch. *If I call an electrician, would
he/she be able to run wire down to the basement to the panel and then
install a switch on the first floor? *Or, would they tap into a hot wire in
the attic and install a switch on the second floor?

We would have no *specific* idea what it would take to run a wire from
the 2nd floor of your house to the panel, but in general, the answer
is "Yes, this could be done".

Any decent electrician should be able to run a wire from just about
any where in your house and put a switch just able anywhere you want
it. They may be able to tap into an existing circuit, or they may need
to run a new circuit. There are far too many details specific to your
house for us to answer with much more than "Yes, it can be done" and
"There is probably more than one way for you to get the lights and
switch(es) you want."

I suggest that you contact at least 3 electricians before deciding how
to proceed. No offense, but your question indicates a lack of
knowledge in the field of home wiring and you don't want to simply
accept the word (and price) of the first person you talk to. If you
get at least 3 quotes, I think you'll be able to determine if one or
more of them are trying to rip you off.