Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default 6" 4 Jaw chuck Backplate

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 14:38:27 -0700 (PDT), "Ricardo D. Medina"
wrote:

I just bought a 6" 4 Jaw independent chuck for my Myford ML7, but I
can't get a backplate around here. What steel would you suggest I use
to make one? I was thinking along the lines of 4140, but if 1045 is
alright, it's easier to get here... Any ideas?

Cast iron, if you can get it. You may be able to find a partially
machined backplate that you can finish to fit, for example:
http://www.shars.com/product_categor...ed_Back_Plates

I've made a couple Ajust-Tru to Hardinge spindle backplates from hot
rolled low carbon plate that I'm pleased with. Pick a material that's
easy to machine and that won't move too much when you turn half the
blank into chips. Don't bring any feature to its final dimension until
you've roughed the whole part. There's no good reason to go to the
expense and trouble of using 4140.

--
Ned Simmons