Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Mortar setting time

In message , Andrew Mawson
writes
Tim,

Very temperature dependant: I've just laid 8 cu m of RC40 concrete and
it took two days in the current cold snap to 'not' take a finger
impression. Earlier in the year I laid a batch of the very same stuff
on a blazing hot day and we couldn't finish tamping before it set
solid (perhaps 1.5 hours from delivery)

Cement re-hydradtion (ie setting) is a chemical reaction and thus very
dependent on the temp. When it starts to go off though it is
exothermic - ie gives off heat.

Hmm.. only a few degrees above freezing for the next few days:-(

I suppose I could make a temporary timber frame to support side 1 while
I move the acrows to side 2. Lots of extra work though.

I think I will avoid bricks with a high moisture content (stored
outside) and try poking the mortar after a few days. The wall plate will
be strapped down anyway. Temporary buttresses could be screwed to
various bits of concrete if it still looks dodgy.

Thanks all.

regards

--
Tim Lamb