Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Two breakers, one circuit

On Oct 28, 9:24*am, wrote:
On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 15:25:08 -0700 (PDT), drhender

wrote:
Recently, I was changing a light fixture on my back porch and
discovered that I had to shut off two breakers to cut the power to the
circuit. *I take that to indicate that somewhere, somehow the two
circuits have effectively been crossed together such that the circuit
can draw power from either breaker.

I'd like to fix this... is there a simple way of determining where the
two circuits are conjoined?

Thanks.

It's not you'd "like to fix this", it's you better fix it and do this
soon. *If you actually have 2 breakers feeding an outlet or light
fixture, you have a potential fire and shock hazzard. *It's time to
either get to work on this, or call an electrician. *If not, shut off
both these breakers until you do get it fixed.

What fire hazzard, here it was to code. I have the same thing to the
garage and its not going to be fixed until underground wires to the
garage fail because I would have to trench up a yard and sprinkler
system. I was told its called a California Loop, what ever that is, it
was common years ago here to a garage that needed more than 15a, just
learn to lable breakers and live with it if its a similar 3 way set
up.