Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why the wide prong on a plug?

Claude Hopper wrote:
marlboroman wrote:
Has anyone ever figured out why they put one wide and one narrow on a
plug that does not have a ground?

OK, I understand that on a lamp it's a good idea, or the socket shell
and bulb threads will be live if the hot side of the power line is
connected to that part of the socket.

But, lets say I have a all plastic cased electric power tool. (Like
all of them made in the last decade or more). I'm holding plastic,
which does not conduct electricity. It dont matter which side of the
power line goes to which side of the motor on AC. What's the point of
having that wide terminal? Is the only reason to **** off the user,
particularly those of us who are older and dont have the best eyesight
anymore. I cant see any other reason.....

My grinder does a quick job of narrowing that wide prong though !!!
.

I have snapped many of these wide blades down to size with big dikes
because they would not fit into the older extension cords. Snapped off a
few ground prongs too. Now, 20 years later things are seeming to be
catching up to new safety plugs. I still see some appliances being sold
with only 2 prongs though, why is that?
It would have been better to have redesigned the plug completely instead
of just widening a prong and adding a prong. A completely different plug
would have been almost impossible to modify to fit the old styles and
less safety bypasses would have been done.

I keep several adapters in my tool box.
They're very useful when I have to get
power at an old outlet.

TDD