Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default CPVC pipe to shower valve

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I am redoing the run from my shower valve to my shower head on the pool
side shower.

Originally it was all copper pipes in and out. However, the copper pipe
from the shower up the exterior wall, then a 90 degree elbow, then three
feet along the soffit is exposed piping. Now that I have the inside
sheet rock removed for other work, I am thinking of removing the exposed
copper pipe and run the pipe to the inside wall from the shower valve,
and up and over on the inside of the wall and above the soffit, so the
entire pipe run would be concealed.

Originally, the copper pipe was soldered to a coupling that has a stub on
one end and 1/2" male thread on the other end. I cut the copper pipe and
unscrewed the coupling. So now the top of the valve has a 1/2" female
threaded outlet.

I am thinking of using CPVC pipe instead for this concealed run. It's
code approved and a lot easier than copper with no need to solder. I
will do all the fittings using CPVC fittings except at the end of the run
I will probably use a sharkbite drop ear 90 to secure the CPVC to a piece
of wood for a ceiling mount shower arm. How would I connect the shower
valve to CPVC pipe? Do I need some coupling to go from a female threaded
1/2" to CPVC? Is there a sharkbite coupling that does that or a special
CPVC coupling that does that?

There is a fitting just for this. It is an ell with female thread on one
end, and a stub of CPVC on the other, and has "ears" for mounting. Do not
use a CPVC part for the threads. It need to be metal.

Thanks! I will go look for it. Much appreciated.

MC