Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Steve Russell[_3_] Steve Russell[_3_] is offline

Default introducing new reader here

Hello Tom,

Glad to be of help... If you continue your convection drying, I would try to
inhibit the moisture loss through the exposed endgrain areas on your bowl. A
simple wrap of aluminium foil should do the trick. Wrap the outside and
inside areas (loop over the rim), leaving the side grain area exposed. This
should help to eliminate fissures on the endgrain.

Take care and best wishes to you and yours
--
Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio, The Woodlands, Texas
Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for the Woodworking and Woodturning
Industries

Website: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com
Free Monthly Woodturning Newsletter * Your email is kept confidential
Sign up at: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/lathe-talk.html

On 10/24/08 1:06 PM, in article
, "tom koehler"
wrote:

snip some tex for brevity...
Thanks for your reply, Steve. I have started studying your website, and am
happy to find so much info there. Will check out the CA piece. I did find the
wood turning book at the Gutenberg site and it is now safely tucked away in
my 'puter.
Am starting to do a bit more experimenting with some green wood turning
exercises, using local birch I have good access to. Am going to try boiling
up a couple of pieces, too, just to see what happens. I am keeping my
projects small by most folks' standards. So far, I have done a small bowl,
turned green and then dried in a small convection oven. Have the heat on at
150 deg.F. for about 15 minues, and then let the oven cool back to ambient.
Cyle the oven off and on like this a few times each day, with the door open a
bit, to let the moisture out. First bowl was dry in 2 days, some checking on
the exposed end grain, but relatively minor. The beat goes on...
tom koehler