Posted to alt.english.usage,alt.home.repair
Hatunen Hatunen is offline

Default come-along

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 17:11:45 -0400, mm
wrote:

Is there another word for a come-along? That word sounds like slang
or vernacular.

I worked as a construction engineer and that's the only thing
I've ever heard it called. I'm sure there are brand names,
though, but still, construction workers are an earthy lot.

On the other hand I see at
http://www.hooverfence.com/tools/come-a-long.htm that they are
referenced as "come-a-longs" but are called "power pulls", a
misnomer it would seem to me, since they are hadn operated.

http://www.cvfsupplycompany.com/hanpowpulcom.html calls them
"come along winches".