Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Oil leaking from air filter chamber on lawn mower

wrote:
On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 05:18:18 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I have a newer model Toro push-mower with a Briggs and Stratton engine
that has generally been working great. A month or so ago, I somehow
overfilled the oil, and the next time I started it, the oil seeped out
of the air filter area and onto the top of the deck. It was a mess.

Now it has happened again, but I don't think it was overfilled this
time. The engine itself seems to be running fine. Does anyone know
what might be going on here? Have I unwittingly caused some damage?

Dave

This can happen if the gas is leaking past the carb when it is stored.
This gets into the oil, raises the level and dilutes it. It blows out
all over the place

Or when it's running if the float is stuck and pouring raw gas into the
crankcase as well.

To OP --

First, as somebody else said, check the oil level w/ the dipstick if
provided or at the fill hole if it's the type that fills to it--however
is correct way, check the level.

Second, if it's over full and you didn't do that, it's almost certain
the above problem. If so, the oil will be obviously thin owing to the
excess gasoline.

Solution if so is to clean the carb and make sure there's no
sediment/dirt in the float valve keeping it from closing.