Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] NOSPAMnet@gmail.com is offline

Default Skimming walls - do reveals need new corner beading?

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 17:57:32 +0100, Lobster

On 13 Oct 2008 15:18:59 GMT, (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
Cordless Crazy writes:
When skimming walls in order to bring a plaster finish up to a better
standard, what happens at reveal and external corners? Do new mini
thin-coat angle bead/mini mesh get fixed or simply use a corner
trowel?

Any plasterer I've had do this job for me has always attached new
(standard) beading over the old.

Anyone use this Screwfix product for corners?:

http://tinyurl.com/3v4nbt
Never seen it before. Can't actually imagine how it can work.

It's just tape with two metal sections stuck on in the middle( the
grey parts with a very small gap between) which you fold over and
fix to the corner of the wall and plaster over it .
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/IMG_9189.jpg

I don't get that either. If you put that stuff to a corner edge prior to
applying 3mm of skim plaster, then surely the reinforced metal corners
will be buried under 3mm of plaster which will be vulnerable to knocks -
surely the whole point of using beading at external corners is so the
metal is exposed to the atmosphere and protects the corner?

David

Your logic sounds reasonable until you say this:-

" surely the whole point of using beading at external corners is so
the metal is exposed to the atmosphere and protects the corner?"

What if your intention is just to paint the plastered wall ..would you
want the metal exposed to the atmosphere in that situation.