Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Does Rust Breed Rust?

DerbyDad03 wrote:
A question entered my mind as I was sprucing up my utility trailer. I
removed the strap hinges and closure brackets, etc. so I could clean
off the rust, re-paint, etc.

There are lots of mating surfaces where rust was present on both
surfaces, such as the back of the hinge plates and the trailer
itself. I started wondering what would happen if I used a wire wheel
to get the rust off one surface, but not the other. (That's not my
plan, just my thoughts as I was working.)

All other things being equal (weather, moisture, etc) as they would
be, does the mere presence of rust on one surface make the other
surface more apt to rust?

There is nothing in rust - iron oxide - to cause iron to rust as it is
stable. However, rust is sort of porous and that means it could retain
moisture and *that* would cause rust in the unrusted and unprotected
surface.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...