Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Roof runoff

EXT wrote:

"LouB" wrote in message

Don Phillipson wrote:

Any advice about roof runoff which shoots
over eavestroughs?

Problem occurs at two corners of a steeply gabled
roof over a deck. Rainfall collects in such volume
that at the corners it shoots a foot or more horizontally
before falling 18 feet to the deck, where at one corner it
damages the stained railings, and at the other has
encouraged rot in several siding boards below the deck.
We added eavestroughs and a downspout elsewhere,
curing a similar problem, but do not know what to do
about the corners, where damage now is worse after
an unusually rainy summer.

I have noticed vertical metal barriers sticking up a foot or so at
those corners on roofs here in Florida, which gets heavy thunderstorms.

We have shorter ones here up north of the border to deflect the water
into the gutters/eaves trough.

Florida here......the thingies are arched and generally about 3 or 4
inches higher than roof surface. That's just a guestimate, but I'm sure
they aren't a foot high. Rained here last night and water coming off
the side of the roof was no more than about an inch.