Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Varathane Finish?

ransley wrote:

Spar or Marine rated is the only thing that will hold up against UV
rays and take the expansion -contraction that happens outside, for
doors its the best. I have jobs that 20 yrs later P&L marine is fine,
a door in winter can go from 0f-70f when the sun hits it in winter in
an hour, expanding the door measurably.

Yes, a "marine" spar varnish would be good for that application since
hardness can be sacrificed for flexibility. If you're getting 20 years
though, you are lucky. Very lucky. I used to have a sailboat with a yard
(horizontal spar), always finished with a high grade "marine spar" alkyd
varnish. The top of the spar was good for maybe 6 months in tropical sun.

AFAIK, spar varnish need not have UV inhibitors. Not likely since it is
generally used in an environment that needs to have UV filtered. When a
manufacturer tosses in the word "marine" it is generally to indicate that a
UV filtering material has been added. Given the propensity of manufacturers
toward puffery, it is always a good idea to check the label for the actual
contents.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...