Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Varathane Finish?

On Oct 6, 7:08*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 10/5/2008 6:49 PM The Ranger spake thus:

I recovered three tree-ring disks from a 100+ year old tree
that was recently cut down. I've sanded the disk down smooth
and the rings and rays look really good. I would like to apply
a finish to the tops to really enhance the tree rings while
offering some form of protection at the same time.

I've used Varathane in the past on wood projects but these
rings will be seeing a lot of hands-on activities so Varathane
might not be the best idea.

Varathane just happens to be one variety of varnish (one containing
polyurethane). I'd use varnish, but instead of Varathane, I'd use a
good marine spar varnish (like McCloskey). Even tougher; a couple of
coats ought to stand up to any amount of handling.

1. *Spar varnish is great stuff for spars, not so great for anything else.
It is good for spars because they bend and spar varnish has a higher than
normal amount of oil - the oil makes the dried film more flexible than
normal but it also makes it softer.

2. Surface film depends on the amount of solids in the coating material and
the thickness with which it is applied; however, two coats of anything other
than catalyzed, poured material is insufficient to give a decent film that
will last and protect for a reasonable amount of time. *That is doubly true
on end grain which is what the OP has.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico- Hide quoted text -

Spar or Marine rated is the only thing that will hold up against UV
rays and take the expansion -contraction that happens outside, for
doors its the best. I have jobs that 20 yrs later P&L marine is fine,
a door in winter can go from 0f-70f when the sun hits it in winter in
an hour, expanding the door measurably.