Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Varathane Finish?

"The Ranger" wrote in
ndwidth:

I recovered three tree-ring disks from a 100+ year old tree
that was recently cut down. I've sanded the disk down smooth
and the rings and rays look really good. I would like to apply
a finish to the tops to really enhance the tree rings while
offering some form of protection at the same time.

I've used Varathane in the past on wood projects but these
rings will be seeing a lot of hands-on activities so Varathane
might not be the best idea.

Any ideas or suggestions would be grand!

Thanks again.

The Ranger

it depends on indoor or outdoor use.
for outdoors;use a marine finish,that will have UV protection.

indoors;shellacs and oil finishes will not protect against water rings from
drink glasses.

you probably want to apply some sort of stain first,to enhance the
grain,then seal with urethane,lacquer,or varnish.

Remember you are dealing with END grain.
it will soak up a lot of finish if not stained/sealed first.
the first coat will probably raise the grain,and then need a bit more
sanding.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik