Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Varathane Finish?

The Ranger wrote:
I recovered three tree-ring disks from a 100+ year old tree
that was recently cut down. I've sanded the disk down smooth
and the rings and rays look really good. I would like to apply
a finish to the tops to really enhance the tree rings while
offering some form of protection at the same time.

I've used Varathane in the past on wood projects but these
rings will be seeing a lot of hands-on activities so Varathane
might not be the best idea.

Any ideas or suggestions would be grand!

1. Someone suggested waiting til the wood was reasonably dry. Good advice.
Someone else suggested mineral oil. Not good advice as mineral oil *never*
dries. Other oils such as linseed, tung, et al are possibilities but not
great ones as they are pretty soft and don't offer much protection. Someone
else suggested spar varnish; again, soft and not a good choice for this
application.

2. Since you are interested in eye appeal and protection, oil based glossy
poly (such as oil base Varathane) will give you both. The following steps
will give you an eye catching finish...

a) wait until the wood is dry

b) make sure the wood is really well sanded - no swirl marks, feels silky
smooth. Remove all sanding dust.

c) apply at *least* four coats of oil based gloss poly. Follow the
directions on the can but usually you can recoat without sanding as long as
the next coat goes on about four hours later. If you wait too long you need
to let it dry completely then lightly sand before applying another coat.

d) let the last coat dry at least 48 hours (longer is better) then rub it
with #0000 steel wool. Do so until all glossy spots are gone. If you cut
completely through the finish anywhere, stop, apply two or more additional
coats, let dry another 48 hours then steel wool again.

e) apply one more coat of finish. The only purpose is to bring back the
shine so apply it thinly - thin a bit and either brush or wipe it on.

You could do the same thing with either regular alkyd varnish or lacquer.
Both are less scratch resistant than the poly and lacquer will not "pop the
grain" as much; the latter is also true of water based poly.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...