Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Varathane Finish?

On Oct 5, 8:49*pm, "The Ranger" wrote:
I recovered three tree-ring disks from a 100+ year old tree
that was recently cut down. I've sanded the disk down smooth
and the rings and rays look really good. I would like to apply
a finish to the tops to really enhance the tree rings while
offering some form of protection at the same time.

I've used Varathane in the past on wood projects but these
rings will be seeing a lot of hands-on activities so Varathane
might not be the best idea.

Any ideas or suggestions would be grand!

Thanks again.

The Ranger

Wait till it dries-months, maybe 6? or get a moisture meter and wait
till near 15% or anything will peal. Gloss finishes are clearer
alowing more grain to be seen. Marine poly if it will see sun outside.