Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Varathane Finish?

On 10/5/2008 6:49 PM The Ranger spake thus:

I recovered three tree-ring disks from a 100+ year old tree
that was recently cut down. I've sanded the disk down smooth
and the rings and rays look really good. I would like to apply
a finish to the tops to really enhance the tree rings while
offering some form of protection at the same time.

I've used Varathane in the past on wood projects but these
rings will be seeing a lot of hands-on activities so Varathane
might not be the best idea.

Varathane just happens to be one variety of varnish (one containing
polyurethane). I'd use varnish, but instead of Varathane, I'd use a good
marine spar varnish (like McCloskey). Even tougher; a couple of coats
ought to stand up to any amount of handling.

Don't use an oil finish as someone else suggested: too soft, and the
wood will pick up dirt from handling. Varnish is the way to go;
completely covers the wood, doesn't absorb dirt or oil, can easily be
cleaned, and can be recoated later if needed.

- Paulo Freire