Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Lawn mower Dies after a few minutes?

lbbss wrote:
My lawn mower (Craftsman 6hp) starts fine and works for a bit but then
starts dying. After trying this for a few times, then I have a
harder time to start it. When I prime it and keep trying to start
it, I check the spark plug and it is not wet from fuel, so maybe there
is a fuel problem. I left it out side covered, but water might have
gotten in anyways. So I drain all the fuel and drained the
carburetor pan from fuel. There was no water in the fuel. I put
new fuel, check the spark plug too.
The only other thing that I can think of is that 3 months ago, I
did hit something hard with the blade. It was making a slightly
different engine noise for a month or so, but eventually sounded
normal I think. Any ideas what else I could try?

It could be the flywheel sheer pin. Until you mentioned that ran over a
shovel thing (or was it a rake this time?) I was gonna say the carb is
gummed up.

If it's running too lean, you might try wrapping the air cleaner element
with a damp paper towel to choke down the air supply.

But check the flywheel pin; that's cheap and easy.

Bob