Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Question on roofing

Moe Jones wrote:
After IKE I have to have my roof shingled and I am wondering is there
a product I can have put down on the older shingles then put the new
shingles on top to help reflex the heat during the summer?

The heat that radiates into your attic does heat your house. But it
simultaneously cools the roof. If the heat didn't dissapate, your shingles
would turn to a liquid, run off the roof, and kill your grass.

Lighter colored shingles might help reflect the heat but they show stains
and dirt.

Drive around your town and look at the light-colored shingles (if you can
find any). You may live in an area where there is not much soot and exhaust
particulates in the air. If so, light-colored shingles may work for you.