Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can portable radiators be repaired?

"DemoDisk" wrote in message
news:tMWdnWeA5vpVx3nVnZ2dnUVZ_ofinZ2d@yournetplus. com...

In the past few years, we've accumulated five oil-filled radiators to
heat our very small house. The alternative is a gas "furnace" that was
installed when the house was built over fifty years ago. HUGE money
waster!

Two of the rollable oil-filled radiators have simply quit for no reason
I know of. Has anyone here diagnosed and repaired one of these units?
And Is it worth the trouble? I'd like to, if it's easy/cheap enough,
rather than buying yet another pair of them.

Don't you think it's time that you had a new furnace installed? When you go
to sell the house this may become an issue. Homeowners tend to like working
central heat.

I was in a house recently that had one of those monster old gas furnaces. It
had to be 3-4 times the size of a new one, but the owner said that it worked
fine and was serviced regularly. She wants to sell the house and will now be
installing a new furnace for the new owners to enjoy. If she had done it a
few years ago she would have reaped some benefit and payback.