Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lube a ceiling fan?

On Sat 04 Oct 2008 06:46:56p, Tom Kendrick told us...

My parents have an ancient Hunter fan. The oil cup is on top of the
motor where the cast bracket is part of the top of the motor housing.
I had to get on a ladder and run my finger around the top until it
fell into the cup, probably 3/4" diameter. I squirted about 1-2 ounces
into it, then manually gave the blades a spin to distribute. The fan
had run so dry that the motor could not turn the blades. Once a little
light machine oil made it slick again, it ran just fine.
Tom

The opening size varied considerably with the specific model and year of
manufacture. Some were as small as 3/16", just enough for the tip of an
oil can. The oil ends up in a reservoir where the collar bearing assembly
"floats" in it. I've owned several Hunters, the earliest made in the early
1920s, the newest made in 1972. All of the models I owned had the Adapt
Air™ feature, which was use to mechanically reverse the blade pitch prior
to the advent of electrically reversing the fan direction. These fans are
virtually indestructable.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 10(X)/04(IV)/08(MMVIII)