Posted to alt.home.repair
Big Al[_3_] Big Al[_3_] is offline

Default Follow-up on motor brushes

"larry" wrote in message
mm wrote:
On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 08:35:17 -0400, Blattus Slafaly
wrote:

I have made my own brushes with brush stock.

Sounds good if I have to, but how could I attach the braided copper
wire that these brushes have?

Or otherwise connect the brushes to whatever they're connected to?

File a groove around the back end of the carbon, wrap end of braid in the
groove and "tin" the braid. It gets real snug when it cools.

Or drill a small hole and pin the braid in it.

You can actually plate copper to the end stuck in copper sulfate with a
piece of copper and power supply, but that's too much trouble...

-- larry/dallas

Or, just buy a larger brush and cut it down. Years ago I did a lot of
electric motor repair. Made a miniature table saw with a sewing machine
motor and a thin abrasive cut off wheel. Had a small guide made out of
aluminum angle. Cut many brushes on it.

Al