Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
bw bw is offline

Default 5hp B&S flathead head bolt torque?

"WWS" wrote in message
William Noble wrote:
about 35 ft lbs as I recall - I used to have a book "small engine
repair" by Briggs and stratton - but I lent it to someone and now I
can't find it. you may look around for that book.

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
.. .
Anyone have even a rough idea?

B&S repair manual says 140 in/lbs for standard and Quantum 5hp engines.
Thats 11.6 ft/lbs.
I go 15 ft/lbs, but thats pushing it.

Correct. I use 14 footpounds with no problems. Thats COLD.
After replacing head gaskets, run the engine to operating temperature.
Then stop, allow to cool to room temp and torque again. Just takes time to
do it right.

Test the head bolts tightened at the factory sometimes, the low end engines
are often wildly out of spec.