Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Postable Digital TV's?

"T. McQuinn" wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
"T. McQuinn" wrote:

Andy wrote:

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 10:02:07 -0400, Robert Blass
wrote:

I have a portable analog TV which will be a door stop in 2009. Does
any place sell the new digital tv's in a portable form? You know, one
that runs on batteries in case your electricity goes out.

Haier Hlt71 7" Portable Lcd Tv - HLT71
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=208673168

I'm curious about something. On three different TVs with digital
tuners, a 2002 model with a set top box, a 2008 model with built in OTA
digital tuner, and my mother's portable with a digital converter, it
seems like the digital signal does a VERY poor job of penetrating
walls. The only thing that I've tried so far that worked worth a crap
is an outdoor rooftop antennae and even that was affected if the wind
blew the leaves on the tall trees between the antennae and the
transmitter towers downtown. Are others having similar experiences?

Wait until Feb '09 or so when the stations are transmitting at full
power.

Are you saying that even though many of the sub channels (12-1, 12-2,
12-3) are only available via over the air that they aren't using full power?

Many if not most of the current ATSC transmissions are at considerably
lower power than the stations main NTSC transmission and will switch to
full power when the NTSC transmitter is shutdown. Some of these ATSC
transmissions are operating at a few kW now and will be in the MW range
after the cutover. Somewhere on the FCC site there is a database listing
the pre and post cutover power levels. Sub channels have nothing to do
with it.