Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs Jim Redelfs is offline

Default Childhood lawn mower memories...

In article
,
ChrisCoaster wrote:

When I was between the ages of 3 and 9, I recall my Dad using a lawn
mower that you had to "wind" to start. It was a typical-looking push
gasoline mower, but it had this wind-up handle that you (1)unfolded
from the top of the engine, then (2) wound up several times clockwise
and folded up again, and finally (3) threw a pair of levers up ontop
near the handle you pushed the mower with.

1. Who made these mowers

Toro

2. Any photos?

Sorry, no.

I bought it new and used this mower easily 40-years ago.

The spring-loaded starter was pretty much a failure-prone gimmick and
caused more than a few returns to the local dealer for repair.

All-in-all, with it's "Auto Oiler" feature, deck wash-out plug, and
magnesium deck into which was screwed a bolt that would never stay tight
(ended up helicoiling it) it was mostly a POS.

My next Toro was MUCH better. After using for 17 years, my sister
finally finished it off a few weeks ago.

I am now using and enjoying a Honda.
--

JR