Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Cheating Contractors

"Twice Retired" wrote

Yep, I will admit, some of the group are pretty stupid. No questions were
asked, only irrational judgments made.

Happens but keep in mind, many here are just learning with their first
house. They tend to make somewhat rash judgements, often caused by
insufficient information in the first post. Instead of asking, like they
should, they jump to conclusions.

1. My neighbor asked me to look at the installation as even he had some
doubts.

This makes it all clear (and yes, I saw you mentioned this right away after
someone didnt like your handling as they presumed you were just acting on
your own). Inadvertant on your part, I was thinking of asking if such was
the case myself when I read on and saw it was your neighbor asking for you
to take a look and help out. Totally different there.

5. Pool builder was contacted by county attorney and the result was that
recipients of the builder's services could have the builder make
corrections or engage a private contractor to make corrections with cost
born by the pool builder.

That or he'd lose his license I gather?

I wonder how the "stupid members" of the group would feel if I had
reported that a child had been electrocuted by the faulty installation.
From previous comments probably just laugh it off as they are probably
laughing about the 7 year old with the burned foot.

No, if you had said only that, they would have been mad at you for not
taking earlier action! Usenet...

Meantime, I've gotten and given quite a bit in this group as far as advice
for queries. Advice where I do not know a thing is generally fairly good
with a few exceptions, and given only in areas I have reasonable experience
in with specifics on what that experience is. Probably longest thread for
me, was helping a fellow with how to rescreen a wood porch with ancellary
advice on how to make proper 'pet borders' to keep them from damaging it too
much. (I have a 44ft wood porch fully screened at the back of the house, and
pets. I rescreen some portion of it annually but it may just be one small
bit where a fat cat made it bow out a little as the ledge is not that wide.
Got back from Japan after 6.5 years and had to do the whole thing again.)