Posted to alt.home.repair
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

Default Childhood lawn mower memories...

On Oct 1, 3:50*pm, " wrote:
On Oct 1, 1:22 pm, Blattus Slafaly
wrote:

ChrisCoasterwrote:
When I was between the ages of 3 and 9, I recall my Dad using a lawn
mower that you had to "wind" to start. It was a typical-looking push
gasoline mower, but it had this wind-up handle that you (1)unfolded
from the top of the engine, then (2) wound up several times clockwise
and folded up again, and finally (3) threw a pair of levers up ontop
near the handle you pushed the mower with.

1. Who made these mowers and
2. Any photos?

I vividly recall to this day the language that came from the back yard
as Dad tried to get that thing to start and run for at least 3 minutes
between "winding". The winding sound is actually similar to rapidly
passing a stick across a picket fence or the clickety clack sound some
bicycles made because their owners put a stick in the spokes that made
the sound as they rode down the street.

Thanks for helping to revive these memories!

-ChrisCoaster

What I liked even better in my memories was the powered reel self
propelled mower. Remember those? I really liked those and they worked
great and also made great go cart rear drive.

--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8- Hide quoted text -

at perehaps 10 years old i got a new end of season close out riding
mower from WT Grant.

it never cut grass the blade was removed before i was allowed to ride
it, but risde it i did all over the neighborhood, and a couple times
pretty far.

it was painted orange and made I think by the RT Rugg company. wehen
we moved it was sold.

i would buy one of those today for old times sake- Hide quoted text -

I looked through that vintage mowers site and the problem is that the
"wind-up" style was made by more than one manufacturer. I do recall
that the pan covering the blade was pretty substantial. It was
probably from the early to mid-60s but I don't see anything on the
site that resembled it.

-CC