Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Blass Robert Blass is offline

Default Metal fence posts: Critique

On 03 Oct 2008 20:05:17 GMT, TD sayd the following:

"HeyBub" wrote in
om:

My home backs up against a 200'-wide high-voltage power line easement.
After Ike, looking across this field, I can see maybe thirty fences
knocked down by the high winds. Every one of these downed fences was
erected using wooden posts.

On my side of the field - for reasons passing understanding - every
one of the fences remained intact and every one of the fences was
erected using metal poles.

In the interests of full disclosure, we did have one break on our
fence; the wind, using the pickets as a sail, fractured one
cross-member, but the poles on either side of the fracture remained
upright.

Maybe the construction technique using the wooden posts was flawed, I
can't say for sure. But the metal post method survived the storm and
the wooden posts didn't.

Our fence was installed in the 1970s with galvanized posts. The fence
still stands (tho kinda ugly).

is it electric fence?

volts?

Mine needs to be 80-100 voltage AC range with 50K pulses in first 1ms