Posted to alt.home.repair

Default furnace question

"jazz" wrote in message
i All,

I have a furnace that is now 14 years old and maintained regularly.

I am on Heating protection plan. How long does an average furnace
last -? Should I drop my Protection plan and just keep the annual
cleaning. I was thinking if I drop the Protection Plan and just keep
the annual cleaning I am saving about $125 bucks. I can put that
towards a new furnace when this one konks out. I have not read all the
exclusions but my feeling is they will not cover major parts and my
money might be better put towards a new furnace.

Any opinions -?

Thanks

Most furnaces can last 20+ years, but, anything mechanical will eventually
wear out and break. Most likely problems are blower motor, gas valve,
controls. If you had put away the cost of a service plan for the past 14
years, you'd have enough savings to pay for any repair and by the time it
needs replacing, for a new furnace.

I don't advocate extended warranty or service plans. They are a source of
profit for the seller, not something they do to help you in the long run.
Some people find it easier to pay $125 a year for ten years rather than $300
one time for a repair.