Posted to alt.home.repair
charlie charlie is offline

Default Custom wood door frame

wrote in message
I have an exterior door, well actually it's not an exterior door that
opens to the interior, but an exterior door that opens into a
courtyard, so basically it's exposed to the weather on both sides.

It is a custom wood door, odd size. It is difficult to replace
because it has a lot of accessories on it. It has a built in mail
slot with a mail box attached to the inside. It has custom hinges
with pins to avoid the doors being removed by simply unhinging the
hinges. It also has brackets on the top and bottom to fit two slabs
of 2x6 lumber for hurricane braces, and it has the top and bottom
spring loaded rods to attach the door to the floor and top frame, plus
several mortise locks. Bottom line is it will be very difficult and
expensive to replace and rebuild it.

The problem is the bottom of this door is too long, it can open half
way and it will be stucked due to the uneveness of the mexican tiled
floor. I attempted to remove the door and cut it shorter and attach a
metal door bottom (something like this
http://www.thehardwarehut.com/catalo...p?p_ref=25543).

However I just noticed due to the door bottom having direct contact
with the floor for 36 years, the bottom of that door is basically
rotted a bit - it's mushy.

I think the least expensive approach is for me to remove the bottom
part of the wood door frame, and replace it. However, I cannot find
suitable lumber. The door is 1-3/4" thick, which is thicker than the
typical 2x4s. Is there any source for lumber with "standard door
thickness"?

Thanks,

MC

how much did you cut off and what tools do you have? you can turn a 2x4 on
it's side to get 3.5" thick, then rip that down with a table saw.