Posted to alt.home.repair
Reggie Dunlop Reggie Dunlop is offline

Default Cheating Contractors

"Twice Retired" wrote in message

"Reggie Dunlop" slap@shot wrote in message
. ..

"Twice Retired" wrote in message
It always amazing me as to what contractors of all types will try to
get away with. They go to extremes in order to bypass codes and
inspections. In many cases their violations are a danger to the
life/safety of people, especially children, and domestic animals.
There is a swimming pool contractor in the area that has been violating
the construction codes and bypasses the final inspection by never
calling for an inspection and letting the permit expire. I learned of
this when he did a job for a neighbor and I viewed his installation and
there were many code violations. I photographed the visible violations
and delivered copies to the county inspection department. The inspector
informed me that there had been no inspection. The inspector came out,
as a courtesy to me as the permit holder had not called, and verified
the violations. That's all it took. My neighbor's system was
extensively re-worked and is now code compliant.
The county has now gone into their closed files to find the jobs where
no inspection was called. It appears that there may be upwards of 17
instances of letting the permit expire without performing the
inspection. The county is taking action.
I have reviewed my neighbor's system before and after corrections and
the interesting fact to me is that if the system was installed in
accordance with the code to begin with, the actual material/labor cost
would have been slightly less than the violation installation. Go
figure!
If you have a job performed, be certain that there is an inspection
that ascertains that the installation complies with local
codes/ordinances.

So let me see if I got this right. You took it upon yourself to sic the
government on your neighbor, trespass his property, put him at risk for
having to pay another contractor to bring the project up to code (he not
the contractor is liable, you know) .... and you're so proud of your
behavior that you publish it here for all the world to see?

If you had done that to me, I'd probably poke you in the nose....

You're not very bright. My neighbor asks for my assistance in many ways,
the pool being just one. Screw around in this area and you'll be carried
out.

BTW the county inspection department forced the pool installer to correct
all deficiencies w/o cost to the owners of any of the properties.

Carried out? Not by you little girl...and perhaps if you'd mentioned in your
OP that your neighbor had asked you for your help.....

And BTW, crooked contractors routinely bankrupt themselves every 3-6 months
leaving an empty corporate shell that no one-- gov't bodies included-- can
come back on and "force" to do anything.