Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Solar

Sac Dave wrote:
"Chris" wrote in message ...
Sac Dave wrote:
I'm thinking of going to solar to offset high PG&E cost. We went to
home show and talked to a few solar contractors . But I would like to
hear from people that actually have solar. I just know the basic and the
amount of panels they can install has a lot to do with your savings.

I am not in California and don't have solar, but judging from the
experience of one of my friends who bought a house with a pre-existing
solar system in northern California, going solar is at best a wash.

He mentioned that the cost to replace some of his panels was so high that
he decided to go back to the grid.

Unless the house is built with energy efficiency in mind solar won't be
much help, IMO.

As others suggested you could be better off finding out where you use too
much energy and taking action. I have a smaller place, about 2000 sqft in
SO Texas and have lowered my electric bill from $350 to $220 per month
with a few targeted and inexpensive changes, and there is still room for
improvement.

That's why I'm looking into solar as one option to consider. Also thinking
of upgrading AC unite (1991) My wife works for major AC & chiller CO. or
price cost & cash to the installer. My window are Dual pain, Walls are just
R-11. atic guessing R-30. My old house we did a PG&E energy audtit, Pretty
much common scence. I do see a lot of Solar Panels being installed The price
is going down lot of competition. Right there building a large Solar panel
plant in Sac.

Solar -electric- point of use, probably won't be cost-effective any
time soon. The big moneymaker is passive solar, designed into the house.
South-facing window wall, Correctly-sized overhangs and plantings for
the part of the year when you want shade, heat mass storage, planned
airflow that can be altered to suit the season, yada yada yada. That
plus modern insulation and energy-efficient appliances and lighting
(including as much natural light as possible), can reduce the energy
requirements a lot cheaper than providing more grid or solar electricity
would cost.

--
aem sends...