Posted to alt.home.repair
Moe Jones Moe Jones is offline

Default Maintanince on furnace..etc.

ransley wrote:
On Sep 30, 7:44 am, "Moe Jones" wrote:
jazz wrote:
How often do you get your furnace / AC maintained. I live in cold
climate with 2-3 months of hot. I was recommended yearly for both.
Are the
extended service plans worth the extra cost.

Thanks

I am retired from the business and you should have any A/C and
Heating system check before you use them to make sure all is safe to
operate.
When it comes to a extended service plan all I can say if you trust
your A/C & Heating company, the plan is good for you and for them
but if you do not trust the company then it can bite you on the
butt. I would use them on some simple jobs and then see if they were
fair and honest to you. --
Moe Joneshttp://www.MoeJones.info

Safe? If the furnace runs and you have a Co detector what is unsafe.
Yearly maintenance on a Ng furnace is a waste of money if you can
check filters and flame condition.

Not only cracked heat exchanger but what about gas leaks, electrical
problems, bearings, over all condition of the furnace. In my years of
working on them you would be surprised in finding problems after only one
year. I have seen people stack cardboard box right up to the furnace and by
the time I got there the boxes had started in discoloring due to the heat
plus allot of the times you can find a small problem that can easily be
repaired before it turned into a large problem.
If you can check the flame condition them most likely you would not need a
service tech. but if you do not know about what your furnace and what to
look like then do not take a chance in letting your furnace go for a number
of years.
--
Moe Jones
http://www.MoeJones.info