Posted to alt.home.repair
Marilyn & Bob Marilyn & Bob is offline

Default Sluggish Toilet

"NSN" wrote in message
My wife's toilet is a bit sluggish requiring the occasional use of a
plunger. It is an American Standard, 20 years old. Could someone point
me to a "how to" article on this subject or offer suggestions. I am
hoping that a Drano like product can be used.

Thanks in advance.

Norm

Just to point out that just about 20 years ago when you said the toilet was
installed, many jurisdictions started requiring the use of Water Saver
toilets. These toilets used about 3.5 gallons of water instead of the
approximately 5.5 gallons of the older toilets. And just like the current
low-flow (1.6 gallon) toilets, the first of the 3.5 ones were not ready for
prime time, so they didn't work very well. You may have one of them. If
so, there is not much you can do other than 1) raise the level of the water
in the tank to close to the top of the fill tube and 2) hold the handle down
until you get a complete flush (or replace the flapper with one that is
designed to close slower).
--
Peace,
BobJ