Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Checking for Termites

On Sep 30, 9:34*am, "JohnR66" wrote:
I was vacuuming behind a sofa when I noticed chipping paint on the window
sill apron. I put the vacuum hose up to it and to remove the loose paint and
it revealed a tunnel in the wood about 3/16" wide - pretty much termite
sized. I have to explore further. I did inspect in the craw space and saw
nothing.

What are good methodes to self check for an infestation or past damage? I
was hit with a large bill and I'm not quite ready to afford the pros now.

Are there any good treatments available the homeowner can use?

3/16" sounds more like a carpenter ant tunnel.
http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/carp.htm