Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Solar

On Sep 30, 7:50*am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
* "Sac Dave" wrote in om...
* I'm thinking of *going to solar to offset high PG&E cost. *We went to home show and talked to a few solar contractors . But I would like to hear from people that actually have solar. I just know the basic and the amount of panels they can install has a lot to do with your savings.

* Unless your state has some good incentive programs (I think that California does) installing solar electric may not be cost effective. *You want to get a payback within a few years. *Keep in mind that you will only get a benefit during daylight hours unless you add batteries which can increase the cost tremendously.

* Be careful of companies trying to sell solar. Remember that is how they make money. *You will need to consider the long term benefits and the maintenance. *What happens when a panel dies? *Who will replace it after five years? *How long have the installers and manufacturers been in business? *Ask about the life expectancy of the system.

* As others have suggested, installing insulation and reducing power consumption will give faster paybacks.

I do not believe that anywhere in the US it is possible to get a
payback of less than maybe 20 years with incentives, its more like 30
years, the panels life. Thats why few do it. This guy spends 600 a
month, it was near 90 hear this summer, I have a much larger house and
only spent 180 on electric and now will spend near 40 month, he
wastes electricity.