Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Solar

"Sac Dave" wrote in message ...
I'm thinking of going to solar to offset high PG&E cost. We went to home show and talked to a few solar contractors . But I would like to hear from people that actually have solar. I just know the basic and the amount of panels they can install has a lot to do with your savings.

Unless your state has some good incentive programs (I think that California does) installing solar electric may not be cost effective. You want to get a payback within a few years. Keep in mind that you will only get a benefit during daylight hours unless you add batteries which can increase the cost tremendously.

Be careful of companies trying to sell solar. Remember that is how they make money. You will need to consider the long term benefits and the maintenance. What happens when a panel dies? Who will replace it after five years? How long have the installers and manufacturers been in business? Ask about the life expectancy of the system.

As others have suggested, installing insulation and reducing power consumption will give faster paybacks.