Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Solar

On Sep 29, 11:44*pm, "Sac Dave" wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message

On Sep 29, 9:51 pm, "Sac Dave" wrote:

"Bob F" wrote in message

"Sac Dave" wrote in message
.. .
I'm thinking of going to solar to offset high PG&E cost. We went to home
show and talked to a few solar contractors . But I would like to hear
from
people that actually have solar. I just know the basic and the amount of
panels they can install has a lot to do with your savings.

I'm talking about eclectic. Our monthly bill is $600. (bill is based on
yearly cost) so if we can save it would help . But it's a balancing act,
power bill compared to financing solar. One of the local solar Co. is
offering a home tour of customers wear they answer the questions that
might
be interesting. I'm in Sacramento Ca. PG&E (pacific gas & electric) is
extremely high. A comparable house with Rossville power or Smud would pay
about $200. Also my house has light switches that are child proof children
18 and under can not turn them off.

How do you spend 600 a month, why do you have light switches kids can
turn off. I pay less than 1/10th what you pay, you need to learn where
you are wasting it and put your money there first to reduse you costs,
to cut 400 a month might cost you 50- 80000 in solar equipment. The
first thing anybody wanting to convert has to do is to lower your bill
as much as possible through upgrades.

*I have a large house 2800 sq ft 3 levels summer in Sacramento is HOT *AC is
a must then throw in a pool. full wood shop in the garage. I pay about what
my neighbors do.- Hide quoted text -

If you have the money to consider solar then first consider Loewen
and Alpen window glass, they are up to R7 with designs to reflect a
major portion of solar radiation and give low SHG. A 19.5 Seer VSDC,
AC and modern up to date insulation would be a next step. Pools and HW
can be at least partialy heated cheaply [compared to Photovoltaic]
with solar water panels. alt.energy.hompower is where you will find
off grid folks. You realy need a complete energy audit first, your
usage is excessive to go solar cells.